Friday, January 8, 2010

Last minute help needed!

Less than a week away from departure and I only have packing on the brain. While the physical labor, like cramming everything I own into a suitcase and sitting on it to zip it shut, still have not been started, I've been ahead of the game when it comes to my flight and layover entertainment. I sought out interesting books with a quick ease about them, because struggling through a book on an overnight flight is not part of my plan.

A week or so ago, I bought Blink and Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell, as he has been highly recommended to me by several family members. Gladwell, a journalist for publications like The New Yorker, writes about the psychology and logic behind instincts, success and how the subconscious affects us everyday. It's fascinating. The problem now is that I'm almost done with Blink. I only read it while I'm on the commuter rail to and from Boston when I visit Corey, and I cannot control myself enough to save it for the trip overseas. I've already decided to pick up Gladwell's first book, The Tipping Point, but I'm desperately in need of some suggestions for other books as I'm afraid I'll finish these on the short flight from Providence to Newark.

So what are your favorite books to read while traveling? What is the one book you have read that you couldn't put down until the last page had been read? Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated and will help shield me from the insufferable airplane small talk.

1 comment:

  1. Outliers is so good. Read it in about 2 days.
    I suggest any short stories book, like Just After Sunset by Stephen King or Look at the Birdie by Kurt Vonnegut.
    I will miss you dearly!
    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete