Thursday, February 25, 2010

Checking in!

Having two term papers due within a few days of each other has seriously cut into my blogging time. The good news is, all you've missed is me drinking tea, making egg sandwiches, eating Cadbury eggs, typing, typing and typing.

I did have an eventful Tuesday night when I realized that I lost my credit card and my driver's license, which resulted in a frantic call to my mother, only to realize they were both in the 20 pound load of laundry I had just shoved in the dryer. Oops...

Last night, we went to the Abbey Theatre to see the world premier of Christ Deliver Us! which is a play about coming of age in the 1950s in Ireland, which basically meant no discussion of feelings unless it was to a priest. It was funny, sad, and disturbing, but wonderful. I spare you the plot details, but trust me in that it was very well acted and produced.

Today, instead of sociology, we headed over to the Houses of the Oireachtas, the Irish parliament. We were able to sit in the balcony overlooking the Dáil Éirann, which is the equivalent of our House. We walked in when everyone was speaking Irish, as they can choose to speak in that or English, but they soon changed back, which was helpful for us. There were some tense moments as they established the order of business, like when one representative yelled at the Ceann Comhairle (like our Speaker of the House) when he was cutting her off: "Ceann Comhairle, do you have a problem with all women or is it just the Labour Party?" The claws came out on that one....meowww.

We got a standard tour of the rest of the building, which used to be a town house for some family with...ready for this...22 children. This house is so big that, well, it got turned into the Irish parliament building.

As for the rest of the night, we're all recharging our batteries. I'm making pancakes! Unfortunately, chocolate chips are absolutely nowhere to be found in Ireland, so I'm using M&Ms as a delicious substitute. Now I'm off to make tortellini for dinner and give Julia Childs, or Sheila Kavanaugh, a run for her title of top chef.

1 comment:

  1. Your mother and Julia Childs in the same sentence! I'm flattered.

    ReplyDelete