Sunday, November 1, 2009

My Gagalicious Halloween

Halloween on a college campus is more of a circus than a holiday. There are no jack-o'-lanterns, there's no trick-or-treating. There are only costumes.

Most are of the skimpy variety. Immortalized in the movie Mean Girls, "Halloween is the one day a year when girls can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it." Well, I'm saying something about it. It might be appropriate to take a feminist stance to criticize the objectification of women or something of that sort. Really, it's just funny to see groups of girls in October, in the rain, running down the street in a napkin and 6 inch heels. They may be dressed as angels, but they're dressed to sin. The sad thing is that I don't think most realize the irony.

For my costume, I opted for pants, even though Lady Gaga herself is known to go without them. It was so much fun to get dressed up and be blonde for a night. Plus, I got to hang out with Miss America.


Here are some of the girls in my suite before we all headed our separate ways: a nerd, Jupiter Moon, a cat, Lady Gaga and Miss America.


Eileen and I spent the night at our friends' house, where there were some pretty hilarious costumes. This year's popular H1N1 costume of a pig with a surgical mask and scrubs on was pretty funny, but the best of the night may have been Ben and Justin as Ali and Erica.

Ben showed up as the usually bearded Ali and Justin showed up dressed in drag. Supposedly he is Erica, but saying they look alike would be a bit of an insult to the pretty blonde.

Let's hope you can pick out the real couple.




This week, I successfully refrained from buying bags of chocolately trans and saturated fat bathed confectionary treats. So though I missed out on a self-induced sugar coma, I enjoyed my Halloween, fully clothed from head to toe.

No comments:

Post a Comment