Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A very merry unbirthday

I don't lead a particularly interesting life. 

So why start a blog? 

Well, writing is sort of my thang and I try to do as much of it as I can. It's like compulsively eating the entire bag of chocolate chips without having to deal with my parent's judgement (they being the only ones aware of the habit up until right about now). Having my own blog is a way to publicly embarrass myself into becoming a better writer. Whether or not my life warrants a storyteller is irrelevant, if my voice and technique can improve through doing this, it will be worthwhile. 

About the title: it's an ode to my most favorite movie, Alice in Wonderland. I always liked the idea that every day could be a celebration, a birthday party without the out-of-pitch song, but always, always with the chocolate cake. 

Today's my unbirthday, and I've got two more until I turn 20 on Friday. I have gotten time off from all three of my summer jobs to spend the entire day at one of Rhode Island's great beaches. My birthday or not, it will be a welcome break from my 50+ hour work week selling clothes at the mall, interning at a local newspaper and being a secretary at a pool club. 

Basically, I can use a phone like nobody's business and sell people just about anything, including an average of two credit cards per shift during an economic recession. My tan has suffered, but I go to Boston University and living in the city for most of the year is quite the drain on the finances, so I welcome the multiple paychecks. Plus, I'm planning on studying abroad this spring, so I've got some major saving to do so that I can gallivant throughout Europe without worrying about my wallet.

So, I think that's enough for our first date. I think it was a success, or at least (I hope) it wasn't a failure. And so begins the awkward tango of who should call first and what happens for date number 2. I guess that's up to me, so until next time, a merry unbirthday to you!

1 comment: